Webinar – Communicating With People With Intellectual Disability
People with an intellectual disability experience high rates of chronic diseases and a life expectancy that is around 26 years less than their counterparts who do not have an intellectual disability.
Wellbeing SA and GPEx invite GPs and primary health care teams to attend a 2 hour webinar providing education and training on how to communicate effectively with people with intellectual disability to ensure their health care needs are met.
By the end of this training session, participants will:
- Understand the health care needs of people with intellectual disability;
- Understand potential barriers to communication;
- Identify potential enablers to engage and encourage;
- Identify health issues and offer screening and other health checks to patients with intellectual disability; and
- Address cultural factors, considering CALD priority populations and LGBTIQ communities.
The webinar includes discussion and case studies to engage and enable participants to practically apply their skills and knowledge.
This training has been made possible by funding provided by Wellbeing SA.