Cultural Awareness in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health – Whyalla
Presenter: Associate Professor Jill Benson AM & Devinia Binell
The GP Extend program includes delivery of Educational Services for the Country SA PHN program to deliver professional development for rural general practitioners and other primary care professional across regional South Australia. For more information, please visit GP Extend.
Where: The Westland Hotel, 100 Mcdougall Stuart Avenue, Whyalla, SA 5600
When: Wednesday 18 April 2018
Time: 6.15pm – 9.15pm
The presentation will allow general practice staff to fulfil their cultural awareness requirements for the Practice Incentives Program (PIP) – Indigenous Health Incentive.
At the end of this session, participants will be able to:
- Apply the cultural awareness tool to consultations to improve cultural appropriateness in consultation setting.
- Demonstrate communication skills taking into account doctor/patient interaction, organisation and socio-political issues.
- Undertake assessment of potential barriers to care including patient, clinician, healthcare systems, societal and environmental.
- Articulate an understanding of Aboriginal history, value, belief systems, experiences and lifestyle.
- Identify health issues more common in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.