Practice Nurse Program Bundle
Expand your knowledge and skills as a primary care nurse to achieve best patient outcomes in general practice
About this Program
Helping primary care nurses expand their knowledge and skills to achieve best patient outcomes in general practice.
Primary practice nursing offers a rewarding and diverse career. There are many clinical roles that a nurse will undertake within a general practice clinic which require a sound knowledge base and understanding of common chronic diseases. There are also many practical skills required in addition to the non-clinical roles that a nurse will be responsible for.
GPEx’s Practice Nurse Education and Development Program is specifically tailored to nurses wanting to transition into a general practice setting, or those who are already working in primary health care who want to upskill.
The 24 modules in this course will expand your knowledge and skills across the breadth of primary practice nursing, as well as enhance your confidence as a member of the general practice team. You will have immediate access for up to 12 months from time of purchase.
The combined seat time duration for the modules is 29 hours. Online certificates of completion are automatically available on successful completion of each module.
This course will help you achieve the following learning outcomes:
- Develop a sound understanding and knowledge of the Australian primary healthcare system, the structure of general practices, and the role of the practice nurse within the general practice team.
- Be confident in managing the non-clinical roles of a primary practice nurse, including infection prevention and control, stock rotation and ordering supplies, maintaining emergency equipment, assisting with accreditation, and maintaining Schedule 8 medications.
- Enhance your practical skills and apply them to a general practice setting, including phone triage, assisting with procedures, wound management, performing ECGs, and assisting in emergencies.
- Understand the role of the practice nurse in the management of chronic diseases in the primary practice setting, including utilisation of chronic disease management plans and team care arrangements, and maximising health outcomes through health assessments.
- Expand your knowledge on common chronic diseases affecting the Australian population, and learn how you can improve patient health outcomes through patient engagement, education and motivational interviewing.
- Develop lifelong skills for prioritising and maintaining your own health and wellbeing.
Starting Out in Practice Nursing
- Introduction to the Australian Primary Healthcare System
- Electrocardiogram (ECG) Basics
- Emergencies in General Practice
- Procedures in General Practice
- Triage for Practice Nurses
- Wound Management
Chronic Disease and Health Promotion
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health
- Asthma and COPD Management
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Chronic Kidney Disease
- Health Assessments
- Immunisations and Cold Chain Management
- Introduction to Chronic Disease Item Numbers
- Veterans’ Health
- Mental Health Conditions
- Motivational Interviewing
- Patients on Antipsychotic Medications
- Self-Care and Wellbeing for Practice Nurses
- Infection Prevention and Control
- Stock Management
Not sure if you wish to buy the whole course?
Individual modules are available for purchase