Asthma and COPD Management
Expand your knowledge and skills as a primary care nurse to achieve best patient outcomes in general practice
About this Program
Helping primary care nurses expand their knowledge and skills to achieve best patient outcomes in general practice
GPEx’s Practice Nurse Education and Development Program is specifically tailored to nurses wanting to transition into a general practice setting, or those who are already working in primary health care who want to upskill.
This module is one of 24 modules available in the Program. Modules can be purchased individually or together at a discounted price. You will have immediate access for up to 12 months from time of purchase.
An online certificate of completion is automatically available on successful completion.
Seat time: 2 hours
By the end of this module, you will be able to:
- Understand the purpose of spirometry and how to correctly perform spirometry
- Understand the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the use of spirometry in general practice
- Understand how asthma is diagnosed and classified in children and adults
- Provide education to patients on how to correctly use the various types of available inhalers in the treatment of asthma and COPD
- Provide education to patients on how to correctly use and care for a spacer
- Develop awareness of the Asthma Cycle of Care
- Improve knowledge of asthma self-management education, asthma first aid and asthma action plans
- Develop an awareness of how to assist a GP with the management of an adult and child experiencing an acute exacerbation of asthma
- Develop knowledge about the management of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease and how patient education can improve the care of patients
- Improve knowledge of smoking cessation supports including the 5As approach, counselling and pharmacotherapy options